:: Mission, Vision, Priorities and Philosophy
We work with families and community partners to provide safe, caring, healthy, diverse, inclusive and equitable learning experiences that engage students to achieve their full potential in an increasingly interdependent world.
All students will learn to their full potential and develop the ability, passion and imagination to pursue their dreams and contribute to their community.
District Priorities 2011-2014
- Provide supports and programs that will enable all students to complete high school.
- Deepen students' understanding of equity and empathy as key citizenship traits.
- Ensure all students and their families are welcomed, respected, accepted and supported in every school.
- Promote health and wellness for all students and staff.
- Listen to staff, honour their contributions, and support their opportunities for collaboration, growth and professional development.
Our diverse programs of study support our mission statement by giving parents and students different paths to achieve academic and personal success. Choice is the foundation of our district's approach to education. Edmonton Public Schools is recognized internationally for offering the curriculum in ways that complement the unique backgrounds and talents of our students. Alternative programs are developed based on feedback from parents and the community. We will continue to expand our spectrum of programs wherever it will support and foster student achievement.
We believe that the "one size fits all" model of education is no longer appropriate in today's rapidly evolving society. Children have different learning styles and some achieve better in certain environments. Edmonton Public Schools is making a strong statement about our ability to address and meet the changing needs of students.
Implemented more than two decades ago, Edmonton Public Schools created its revolutionary open boundary system. This allows parents and students to pursue educational programming study in a learning environment of their choice.