Attendance Area Changes at Michael Strembitsky School
Thu, 14 Jan, 2016
Edmonton Public Schools held a public meeting with parents and community members in Summerside on November 24 to talk about attendance area changes at Michael Strembitsky School (MSS). The school is full because of continued population increases in the area, and the District needed to take steps to reduce enrolment for the 2016-17 school year and subsequent years, if needed.
The District developed four feasible solutions and asked for input from the community. Based on the feedback received and other factors, including the number of school-aged children in the area, the Superintendent made the following decision:
- Kindergarten students in the MSS attendance area will attend Satoo School for 2016-17 and Grade 1 for 2017-18. The plan is to have them start Grade 2 at MSS in 2018-19
- MSS will offer grades 1-9 for 2016-17 and grades 2-9 for 2017-18.
- Students living in the northeast corner of Summerside—north and east of Stanton Drive and south of Ellerslie Road—will be permanently redesignated to Ellerslie School starting in fall 2016-17. This applies to all students in grades K-9 living in this area who currently attend MSS.
- Summerside South (south of Savaryn Drive and east of 88th Street) will be redesignated to Jan Reimer School for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Out of attendance area students who do not live in the MSS attendance area and were not previously grandfathered will no longer be able to attend MSS.
- Out of district students, including non-Edmonton residents and Catholic-declared students, will no longer be able to attend MSS.
- Yellow school bus service is available for qualifying students who attend their primary designated school.
MICHAEL STREMBITSKY ATTENDANCE AREA MAP - ELEMENTARY
VIEW: Elementary Attendance Area Map (PDF)
MICHAEL STREMBITSKY ATTENDANCE AREA MAP - JUNIOR HIGH
VIEW: Junior High Attendance Area Map (PDF)