Support Career Opportunities
EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANTS – SPECIAL NEEDS
Edmonton Public Schools needs you! As a graduate of an educational assistant program or someone who has experience working with individuals who have special needs, you will be embarking on a rewarding career path that offers opportunities to learn and grow professionally. We invite you to put your skills to work by joining our team of dedicated staff who work with students from Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 12. The ideal candidates will provide support to students who have developmental delays, emotional and behavioural challenges, autism, learning difficulties, and physical health concerns.
• you are energetic and enjoy working with students
• you thrive in an environment that encourages collaboration
• you believe that all children should reach their full potential
• you have pictured yourself working with students and making a significant difference in their lives
ABOUT YOUR EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• High School plus completion of a post-secondary program in a related field
• one year related experience working with students or individuals who have special needs
• excellent communication skills both verbal and written
• superb interpersonal, time management, and organizational skills
• equivalencies to these qualifications will be considered
ABOUT THE ROLE:
As an Educational Assistant you will:
• carry out instructional plans for students
• provide one-on-one and small group assistance
• work with teachers to provide universal, targeted, and specific support to students
• assist with the planning and implementation of instructional materials and activities to meet the educational and special needs of students
• provide motivation and encourage student participation in activities
• work with students using various resources and electronic supports
• supervise students during arrival and departure
ABOUT WHAT WE HAVE TO OFFER:
• competitive salary ($18,57 – $21.63 per hour)
• a comprehensive benefits package including extended health care, dental, vision and extended disability for staff who receive long terms assignments beyond 25 days in duration or permanent employment
• 10-month employment – summers off
• personal and professional growth opportunities
NATURE OF WORK:
• hourly, on-call work - up to 7 hours per day, Monday – Friday
• long term part-time and full-time
• eligibility to apply for permanent, advertised positions
As we are currently experiencing a significant shortage of educational assistants, individuals willing to accept assignments throughout the City of Edmonton, can expect regular work on a day-to-day and long term basis. There are also excellent opportunities for those looking for permanent employment.
If you are interested in working with an organization that fosters growth and success for every student, we encourage you to apply.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter (in Word or PDF format) quoting competition #942015, via email to email@example.com. These positions are covered by a collective agreement between CUPE Local 3550 and the Board of Trustees. Only those applicants being considered will be contacted.
About Edmonton Public Schools
Edmonton Public Schools is the second largest school district in Alberta, with over 8,500 staff focused on meeting the diverse needs of approximately 99,000 students across 213 schools and education sites. Our Vision is to transform the learners of today into the leaders of tomorrow. We inspire student success through high-quality learning opportunities, supported by meaningfully engaged students, parents, staff and community. The District’s cornerstone values of accountability, collaboration, equity and integrity support us in achieving our Vision and Mission.
Our District is committed to excellence and hires based on merit. We value diversity and welcome applications from all qualified individuals. Only those applicants being considered will be contacted. Prior to employment, successful candidates will be required to submit records check documents.