Comments, Delegations and Presentations at Board Meetings by Public and Staff Representatives
Topic: Comments, Delegations and Presentations at Board Meetings by Public and Staff Representatives
Issue Date: 16/05/2012
Effective Date: 08/05/2012
Review Year: 2019
The Board values the views of all stakeholders on educational issues and seeks to provide opportunities to hear from the public in a variety of ways.
The intent of this policy is to clarify the Board's procedures for its official board meetings with respect to members of the public and staff group representatives providing general comments to the Board on an educational issue or on specific board meeting agenda items and making formal presentations to the Board.
In accordance with the School Act, the Board of Trustees as the Corporate Board of Edmonton School District No. 7 holds its official business meetings in public. Board meeting agendas are posted to the District website www.epsb.ca. No person shall be excluded from the meeting except for improper conduct. Attacks on the personal character or performance of any individual or disruptive remarks shall be ruled out of order and persistence in such remarks shall cause the individual to be excluded from the meeting room.
- GENERAL COMMENTS ON AN EDUCATIONAL ISSUE AT A BOARD MEETING
- A member of the public or a staff group representative may address the Board on any educational issue.
- A member of the public or a staff group representative may speak for three minutes at a public Board meeting under the agenda category Comments from the Public and Staff Group Representatives. The total duration of the Comments from the Public and Staff Group Representatives section of the agenda shall not exceed 20 minutes. Exceptions to the time limits may be made by a majority vote of the Board.
- Speakers shall address their comments to the Board Chair.
- The Board Chair will thank the speaker.
- COMMENTS ON SPECIFIC BOARD AGENDA ITEMS
- If a member of the public or a staff group representative wishes to give a position to the Board on a specific board agenda item, the individual shall register with the Board Office by noon the day of the meeting.
- The Board Chair will, at the time the item is considered, seek concurrence of the Board to hear the individual.
- Speakers shall confine themselves to three minutes and address their comments to the Board Chair.
- The total duration of public comment on a specific agenda item shall not exceed 20 minutes per agenda item. Exceptions to the time limits may be made by a majority vote of the Board.
- The Board Chair will thank the speaker.
- FORMAL DELEGATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS TO BOARD
- The Board Office shall advise the delegation on the procedures for submitting a brief and/or making a verbal presentation and assist the delegation in making their request.
- Groups or individuals who wish to appear before the Board to make a presentation to or a request of the Board shall first discuss the request with the Superintendent of Schools or a designate. This provides the presenter an opportunity to clarify his/her understanding of district practices related to the presentation topic and determine what other assistance may be available through the Administration.
- If after meeting with the Administration, an appearance before the Board is still desired, the delegation must make their request in writing to the Board Office at least three weeks in advance of the preferred meeting at which they wish to appear. Notwithstanding the three week notice, the Superintendent of Schools may consider a request to waive the timelines if circumstances warrant; for example, if the Board will be making a decision on the matter before the delegation is scheduled to present to Board.
- The Board reserves the right to determine whether the delegation will be heard, and if so, whether it will be heard by the Board or by a committee of the Board. For matters clearly within the practice and mandate of the Board, the Board Office in consultation with the Superintendent of Schools and Board Chair shall make appropriate arrangements for the delegation to be heard.
- Written briefs or a digest of the information to be presented must be submitted to the Board Office at least five days prior to the meeting. The notice and the brief will be provided to each Trustee with the notice of meeting at which the delegation is to appear.
- The delegation may have 10 minutes in total to make its presentation and may appoint two spokespersons. The Board Chair will thank the speaker.
- Decisions regarding requests made by delegations will be dealt with at the next meeting of the Board or appropriate committee unless the Board will be making a decision on the matter as part of another scheduled item of business on the agenda or it is otherwise agreed to by a majority vote of the members present.
AB.AR Appeal ProcessesEPSB - Speaking at a Board MeetingSchool Act
(please see Section 123 of the School Act)