Individual Support programming supports students with severe to profound developmental disabilities. Students may have physical, sensory or behavioural challenges, and/or medical conditions, requiring special accommodations.
- Build functional and communication skills that enhance quality of life
- Development of verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Development of small and large movements—grasping, reaching and handling different objects
- Opportunities to explore the use of assistive technology or equipment
- Structured learning environment with regular routines and close supervision
- Physical accommodations such as wheelchair access, specialized furniture and assistive technology
- Smaller classes for more targeted instruction
- Community service providers offer additional services for students as needed
- Opportunities to participate in school-wide and recreational activities
Students must be 5 ½ to 19 years old with clinical diagnosis. Contact your child’s school for information about eligibility and special education programming options.
All Edmonton Public Schools programming is based on curriculum determined by Alberta Education. Students enrolled in Individual Support will receive the same high-quality education offered in all of our programs.
Most schools offering special education programming have some yellow busing options available. For more information about busing, contact your child’s school or call Student Transportation at 780-429-8585.