Supporting Your Child's Learning at Home
Success at school begins at home. By encouraging and supporting your child, you show that you place a high priority on their learning, behaviour, participation and progress at school.
HELP YOUR CHILD HAVE A HEALTHY START
To help your child have a healthy start to the day:
- make sure your child gets plenty of sleep. Ten to 12 hours is recommended for four to six-year-olds.
- encourage good nutrition habits
- teach your child to dress appropriately for different kinds of weather
ENCOURAGE YOUR CHILD’S LANGUAGE LEARNING
To encourage your child’s language learning:
- set a good example with your own speaking and listening skills
- talk about family events, and take your child to visit interesting places
- read stories to your child every day when they are young
- show that you enjoy reading your own books, magazines and newspapers
- help your child understand that their own writing is important: letters, cards, lists
- strengthen your child’s literacy skills at home using our literacy tip sheets for parents
- explore activities in the EPSB Together app that connect what they are learning in school to everyday skills