Arts Core programming incorporates the visual and performing arts into everyday learning. Students explore their creativity and self-expression through art, music, dance and drama.
- Develop artistic and academic skills
- Explore and communicate thoughts, feelings and ideas using a variety of art forms
- Improved understanding of art, music, drama and dance theory and technique
- Development of critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Improved ability to apply knowledge and skills from one subject area to other areas
- Access to a wide range of artistic tools and processes
- Respect for individual, cultural and artistic diversity
- Awareness and appreciation of the arts
- Instruction that incorporates the arts into language arts, math, science and social studies
- Additional study of the arts, music, drama and dance provided in individual classes
- Use of the arts to articulate understanding of learning outcomes
- Taking risks and exploring personal challenges in a safe environment
- Opportunities to respond to, create and present works of art through performances and events
- Guest speakers, artist-in-residence, arts-related field trips and involvement of the local arts community
All students in Kindergarten to Grade 6 are welcome to enrol. For more information about eligibility, contact a school offering Arts Core.
All Edmonton Public Schools programming is based on curriculum determined by Alberta Education. Students enrolled in Arts Core will receive the same high-quality education offered in all of our programs.
Some yellow busing options are available. For more information about busing, contact a school offering the program or call Student Transportation at 780-429-8585.