Designation, Appointment and Assignment to Leadership Positions
Topic: Designation, Appointment and Assignment to Leadership Positions
Issue Date: 29/01/2020
Effective Date: 29/01/2020
Review Year: 2021
To outline the length of term for designation, appointment and assignment to leadership positions.
Designation or designated refers to a leadership position given to an individual who holds a teacher contract.
Appointment or appointed refers to a leadership position given to an individual who does not hold a teacher contract.
Assignment or assigned refers to the location or area of responsibility of those designated or appointed to leadership positions.
- New principals are designated by the Superintendent of Schools for a two-year probationary term. At the end of the probationary term, the Superintendent of Schools will either grant designation as principal for an indefinite term, extend the probationary period for an additional year, or not grant a designation as principal.
- Assistant principals designated by the Board of Trustees prior to 1996-1997 continue to hold the designation of assistant principal until the designation is terminated.
- Exempt management staff who hold a teacher contract and are designated as assistant superintendent, managing director, or director are designated for up to a three-year term.
- Exempt management staff who hold a teacher contract and are designated as supervisor are designated for a one-year term.
- All designations not included in 1. a., b., c., or d. above are for a one-year term.
Exempt management staff who do not hold a teacher contract are appointed for an indefinite term.
FA.BP Human Resources Framework Education Act Section 51(1), 128
(please see Sections 202, 204)